5 Ways to Win at Customer Retention
By Carie Ferg, Manta Editor – November 4, 2015
It’s more challenging than ever to keep customers happy, so an effective customer retention strategy is key when it comes to small business success. That’s in part due to social media, said Chip Bell, customer loyalty expert, renowned keynote speaker, and best-selling author. The competition is fierce, with big companies like Disney, Nordstrom and Zappos setting the bar, he said. “People don’t brag about good service anymore. It must be over-the-top and uniquely enthralling to make them talk, tweet or favor you on a review.”
Bell offered the following tactics small business owners could use to wow their customers and stand out from the crowd:
- Understand them. Customers change all the time. Find ways to stay up-to-the-minute on their expectations and aspirations.
- Include them. People will care when you share. Find ways to make the customer feel like a partner.
- Teach them. Customers value businesses that help them keep up with trends and that share their wisdom.
- Make it easy and effortless. Customers today are extremely time conscious—they detest waiting and prefer hassle-free, convenient experiences.
- Surprise them. Find unique and simple ways to make customers know you care.